The Ultimate 60″ Racer
Available March 6th, 2017!
After 10 years, Bluto is ready for primetime in its original format: A 60″ span, straight leading edge, twin fin racer. Bluto has the same tapered carbon spar system as the HP60 and uses the same familiar building techniques common to all NCFM models. What’s new is a fin mounting system that is effective, strong and versatile.
Far from compromising the strength and rigidity of the wing, it adds to it and allows the twin fins to be mounted in a position away from harm during landing and impossible to twist in the circuit. Bluto is a 3-servo plank that gives you flexibility in setting up the controls: Keep the pitch control restricted to the elevator and enjoy relaxed flying, or mix elevator control to the ailerons and bang turns faster than you’ve ever did. Either way, any of the modern computer R/C systems is capable of delivering the programmable mixes required. Shorter control surfaces (compared to full length elevons) are less prone to twist, deliver more precise control and are easier to modify if you are inclined to put the Bluto through the Dynamic Soaring (DS) circuit.
Wing Area: 452 Sq. In.
Average Unballasted Flying Weight: 40 Ounces
Max Optional Ballast Tube Capacity: Two 1/2 ” Dia. x 6 ” long brass tubes filled with 12 oz of lead. (Order the Bluto Ballast Kit and be advised that this ballast kit needs to be installed at the outset of the build.)
Transmitter Requirements: Elevon Mixing with End-Point Adjust and/or Dual Rates
Receiver: Berg, Hitec Micro or smaller (end-plugs best).
Servos: (3) HS-85MG or beefier!
Battery: 600mAh Nicad flat pack (KR600AE), which weighs approx. 95 grams, or 1000-1200mAh NiMH – similar weight.
Epoxy: 5 & 20 Minute+
Slow J-B Weld Epoxy Resin, for spar joiner
Goop, Shoe Goo, or Similar Clear Gel Glue (optional)
Gap Filling Cyanoacrylate (Thick C.A.)
Strapping Tape (1″ or 2″ will work)
3M77 or Similar Spray Adhesive
Drywall Screen and/or Misc. Sandpaper
Several Small Disposable Brushes
Ultracote / Oracover Covering Material
2″ Clear Poly Tape (we like Manco, with the duck)
(3) 6″ Servo Lead Extensions
• (4) Wing Cores (1.9lb EPP- Pre-Cored for the required Lead Balance Weight & optional Ballast Tube)
• (2) Wing Spars (27” carbon shafts)
• (1) Spar Joiner (15″ T6-6061 Aluminum)
• (3) Elevons (24.5” Weight-matched balsa)
• (3) Drag Spars (1/4”x1/8”x 24.5” basswood)
• (2) 1/4″ x 8 ” Basswood Drag Spar Joiners (shaped)
• (4) Tapered Gussets (1/8” x 4-1/2” Basswood)
• (4) Ribs (1/16” laser-cut plywood)
• (2) Fin Tangs (1/16” laser-cut plywood)
• (3) Elevon Control Horn Sets
• (6) Machine Screws
• (6) Black Steel Clevises
• (3) Control Rods (3” long threaded rods)
• (8) Lead Slugs (Balance Weight, 4 Per Side)
• (2) Spar Channel Tip inserts (3” long EPP strips)
• (6) Spar Weighting Caps (3”x3/8”x3/8” Balsa)
• (2) HardPoints (graduated aluminum discs)
• (1) Comprehensive Instruction Manual with Detailed Graphics
• (2) Fin Material (1/16”x 4”x 18” balsa sheets)
• (1) Instruction Manual DVD
• (1) Copy of Diagram “C” (wingtip and fin plans)